On Thursday I arrived back in Kenya, and had finally thought to write a no doubt riveting post on my now ex-toaster. Instead I'm closing off the few blog posts I have written on A.
On Sunday morning, A passed away after what was most likely a collision with a vehicle while on a bicycle the previous day while out researching on fish for a new business venture.
I had received a text late on Saturday night informing me of his admittance to hospital in some pain. During the night he passed away from internal bleeding. I had not expected this at all. I had assumed he had a broken leg that would be set in a cast. At the beginning of the year we’re always so optimistic on the future. He had had a good few weeks in December that were free from medical issues, he had a health insurance card in process and had received funds from a micro-finance institution to start a small business selling fish in Nairobi that he would buy at lake Victoria and transport to town once a week.
I wonder if it’s better to know your near the end of your life and have everything in order, or rather it’s better for it to sneak up before your ready, yet at a time you're at peace. A had plans afoot, but I’m still thankful that he did not have to wait for AIDS to take his life through one of many illnesses that would come with increasing regularity.
A had called me on Friday (which happened to be his 35th birthday) and it was good to chat. My parting comment was something like “I’ll be praying that 2011 gets off to a good start” and his response was a nervous laugh. Maybe heaven counts as a good start to the year...
Addition: (Two week's later)
There's not a great way to write this paragraph, without it sounded clunky.
The medical centre gave the wrong information to A's friend. He had in fact been transferred to a public hospital in order to save costs and was discharged two weeks later. On arriving at his home, every one was freaked out thinking he was a ghost and didn't sleep a wink. A's friend had arranged to transport A's body to his family home. Somehow, a body was released which the friend took without checking the identity, and now that grieving family want it back. It's difficult to not acquire a complex when so much goes wrong around A. My hope and prayer is that these issues will be resolved quickly, so that A can get back to business and life.
Addition: (Two week's later)
There's not a great way to write this paragraph, without it sounded clunky.
The medical centre gave the wrong information to A's friend. He had in fact been transferred to a public hospital in order to save costs and was discharged two weeks later. On arriving at his home, every one was freaked out thinking he was a ghost and didn't sleep a wink. A's friend had arranged to transport A's body to his family home. Somehow, a body was released which the friend took without checking the identity, and now that grieving family want it back. It's difficult to not acquire a complex when so much goes wrong around A. My hope and prayer is that these issues will be resolved quickly, so that A can get back to business and life.
No comments:
Post a Comment