Sunday, May 19, 2013

London... without hesitation, repetition or deviation

Lately I've been thinking that it'd be a good idea to cut down on my intake of news. I admit that there are lots of good reasons to be aware of what's going on but several recent news stories have been the sort to continue on for days at a time, drip feeding details to the waiting media. So this past week I decided to cut down. Both at the home and the office I'm choosing not to tune in and its been a pleasant change. The one hiccup in the week was Tuesday...

We rearranged our week and took the opportunity to travel into London from Oxford. The bus was pleasant and and speedy and costs a lot less than the train off-peak day return cost of £44 each on Chilterns Trains (!). Our target was New Broadcasting House, home of the BBC in London where we had managed to secure tickets to see Just a Minute being recorded. After a queue of perhaps thirty minutes we reached the front of the queue and passed through security to the light airy corridor beyond. I don't know what I was expecting but I had not expected to be face to face with a mocked-up Dalek or Dr Who phone box. Neither had I expected there to be a very large and lovely cafe. To the left stood someone presenting the weather and spread out below was the BBC Newsroom. Behind the glass a camera occasionally rolled along its track waiting for the cue to begin the establishing shot for the headlines on the hour and half hour.

BBC news, Broadcasting House (c) Andy Hebden

Recording of Just a Minute was running behind schedule and so we spent perhaps an hour being bombarded by all the news taking place around the world - quite a contrast to what I had intended.

Eventually we were able to make our way through to the Radio Theatre where two programmes of Just a Minute were recorded. The rules are simple: speak on a subject for one minute without hesitation, repetition or deviation. It was really good fun and well worth an afternoon away from the office. As a day out it was up there with my school trip to see Blind Date being recorded back in the last millennium...

No comments: