Sunday, February 27, 2011

Master Care

On Thursday of last week I was able to attend a Member Care Afternoon Tea in Nairobi. Fifty or more people came from many different organisations that have offices in Nairobi. I was there as a member care facilitator for staff in Eastern Congo. I do this for two days each week as I think it nicely contrasts with work on institutional funding.

My main takeaway from the couple of hours together was the need that we have as Christians, for not just member care, but master care. And what is this? Well, I haven't got my notes with me, but it is the care that God gives to us individually, maybe on a daily basis or at times of great challenge and hardship. Even over the past three days since it has been good to come to God and tell him what I know about his character - that he is loving, compassionate, gracious, and that he endured every kind of suffering. I look forward to using the term master care and planting it in others' minds over the coming years.

Addition:
Master Care was definitely my takeaway from the Member Care afternoon tea. During the night following, one of the women who had attended lost her husband in a break-in at their rural compound where they worked with YWAM. This is not something normal or that we ever expect to happen. These sort of events are perhaps the hardest to comprehend, and we have all sorts of questions to ask God in the aftermath. I'm thankful that he planned the member care event on that very day. If you're the praying sort, please remember Ebel's wife Lora, their two children, the staff and students of YWAM Athi River and our church where they attended. With my thanks.

No comments: